7.25.2008

Flatstoria


Artic - Astoria
61 miles, 4 1/2 hr, 13.6 avg speed, 5 flats?, 1 enchilada

The tent was pretty comfy. The great thing about camping is that you wake up early with the birds, but you're still refreshed. I don't get it, but I love it.

There was more of that hill to go - lots of it. I trudged on forever and saw at least 40 logging trucks packed w/ some good looking lumber. I know what good looking lumber looks like because I want to buy a Key logger's shirt - the train engineer type.

I stopped off in Raymond for a big old Enchilada. I talked to Justin Sweeney, who informed me of the normal and current weather patterns of Alaska. But hey, it was much better than talking to the other side of the booth. In the store I bought some French bread and cold pressed Olive Oil, like my mom said I should. Standing in line I got some funny looks from the wood-folk, and I really wanted to ask how much money I'd have to pay to get them to wear bike shorts.

On the road again, and I finally caught some sun, then some water. About time, I was now out of the woods. A deer jumped over the guard rail, not more than 15 feet in front of me, then ran across the street past a trucker slamming the breaks. I heard the other day that those poor beastards are blind, and that's why they act like idiots. It's good to sympathize.

In South Bend (a nice little place) a guy passing in a truck yelled "I know you can!". My bike sign was "I think I can".

At mile 30, the fun began. Pffft flat tire. I took everything off my rack, changed it (which took a while considering my excellent handiwork) and went on to mile 32, where it went flat again. I went through 3 tires, two poorly done patch jobs, some duct tape, etc. I somehow made it the 6 miles towards Astoria, where I finally saw the beautiful mouth of the Columbia and the hugh jass bridge. After another hour of salvaging my rubbers, I hitch-hiked into Astoria. My buddy Eric picked me up and we talked baseball and what not. I also took shower #1. If it weren't for the timing of the flat around his town, I really would have been stranded.

Back of the bike sign: "I think I can"
Quote of the day: "It was now too late and too far to go back, and I went on. And the mists had all solemnly risen now, and the world lay spread before me" - Dickens

No comments: