8.06.2008

Can Wait

I started out and got breakfast goods from the freddies in Brookings. Crossing into California, I realized I hadn't been there since I was 8. Coming to a construction stop and seeing two signer ladies wearing Moon Boots, I realized I was in California.

I passed the Aussie and taled with him for a bit. I don't thin he knew how entertaing and disturbing he was. He vered off to get his noon pint shortly after I left him, as he struggled up a gentle slope ("my bike doesn't do hills").

I came through Crescent City and picked up some bread. I also went to the Redwoods Headquarters, which was helpful. I passed a hitch-hiker I'd seen before and congratulated him on his progress. And of course, I stopped at a coffee stand for water.

At the base of the legendary hill, I stopped to let my food digest further. I'd heard stories about this one and it's ascent bore an ominous (?) feeling in my gut. The horror tales turned out to be true, as it was completely shaded, without a shoulder, and graded at 6% without ever letting up. My lower back was screaming. Near the top I said, "that's a big honkin' tree"! I had my first look at the giant Redwoods and their Twizzler bark.

The descent was especially frightening, and I knew it would be. I almost caught gravel at one point, but I made it out by the tread of my rubber.

I rode through Klamath and other towns. I started into river country, with lots of bridges and different landscapes. The side route to Elk Prairie State Park had another huge climb, but the descent was a lot of fun, through the shade of the Redwods. I stopped 50 yards in front of a 3 point Elk, who looked me over and trotted off.

Finally into camp, I was attacked by Mosquitoes and the metal tubing I bought for my tent pole broke. It still worked, just didn't look very good. I would've A-framed my tarp if I wasn't in bear country.

I came up with a name for my Lemond bike: "Can Wait", as in "LeMonday Can Wait".

Todays sign: Fornia I Warnya
Todays quote: Dickens refers to faucets as "water butts"

No comments: